Thursday, September 08, 2005

A Choice

I would rather live my life as if there is a God, and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't, and die to find out there is.

I received the above via e-mail this morning which echoes my feelings. This made me think about all that is going on in our world today, both the negative and the positive. It's a shame that the catastrophe that has occurred in the Gulf Coast has caused people to behave in such ugly, destructive ways. Thank God for those who are stepping up to do whatever they can without bashing or criticizing others.

What happened in New Orleans is a crying shame. I agree that our government (as a whole) failed the people of New Orleans and others in other cities who were stranded for days without food and water. None of us can be certain that if someone else had been President, that things would have been handled differently. Regardless of who our President is or who has been elected to Congress, the Senate or any other political office - GOD is still in control. Apparently, there is a message that he is trying to get through to us, whether we choose to receive it or not.

It's amazing how many people have applauded Kanye West for his comments. Kanye, nor any other entertainer, actor or actress does NOT speak for me. He feels that Bush doesn't care about black people. Well, for the record -- Bush is NOT my messiah. Bush did NOT breathe the breath of life into me so that I could wake up this morning. Bush canNOT heal my body when I'm afflicted with sickness. Bush is NOT my waymaker. Bush is NOT my comforter. Bush is NOT my deliverer. Bush does NOT determine the outcome of MY life. Bush is NOT my burden bearer -- and he shouldn't be yours either. I will make it a point to be at the polls during the next election just as I was during the previous one. Whatever happens in this world is either caused by God or is allowed by God and nothing or nobody can alter it or stop it.

Instead of spreading words of negativity and discouragement, do something constructive. Do or say something that will enlighten someone else. Touch someone's life with an act of kindness or with words of prayer. Save your energy for helping those who have been displaced and have lost everything. If you can't help someone affected by the hurricane, help someone else who is less fortunate.

There's plenty of time to voice opinions or express your dissatisfaction with the way that the evacuation was handled. It's understandable that many of us are outraged at what has happened, but, there's noting wrong with doing things with decency & tact.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.