Tuesday, April 26, 2005

The Joy of Accomplishment

There's nothing like starting a task and continuing until it is completed (with satisfaction). I decided to 'improve' the landscaping in front of my home. Little did I realize what a strenuous task it would be. I mean, after some mornings of digging up grass and dirt and positioning the brick edging in front of my bushes just right, my back, shoulders and arms would ache. But it was so refreshing and therapeutic. Once I got started I didn't want to stop. I worked up a sweat, got a little dirty and even tossed a few worms out of the way -- eeewwww -- the worst part!

I guess I would call this Phase I. The area in front of my shrubs is completed on both sides of the house. I made a nice little decorative area on each side of my sidewalk that is edged with bricks. It really stands out with the lighting that I placed along the sidewalk not long after I moved in. I even planted a few flowers -- what I had not intended on doing initially. They are annuals, are a variety of colors and I can't remember what they're called. Oh well, it looks nice. I still need to spruce up the area around my 2 trees -- which will be Phase II. I'll probably start on that in about a week. I really enjoy working in my yard. I don't mean just mowing the lawn but getting creative and making it look really nice. I plan on adding some kind of colorful plants or bushes in front of my shrubs. Maybe my effort to spruce of my yard will inspire other neighbors (to mow their lawn on a regular basis if nothing else).

That's a whole different story. I get irritated with homeowners who don't take care of their property -- I'm talking tall grass and/or weeds, raggedy fences. It makes the neighborhood look bad. If me, a single parent with 2 kids making under $50K a year can find a way to maintain my property, I know these other people can. Borrow a lawnmower if you have to. Go to Home Depot, buy wood to fill in the gaps of pieces missing from your fence (it's no more than $1.50 -- I've had to do it myself) and fix that jacked up mess! You don't need a power drill -- at least I didn't. I've got your basic hammer and a box of long nails (I had help picking out the size). I was quite proud of myself after replacing the wood that my adorable dog had broken.

Anyway, enough of that. I love driving past the front of my house just to see my handy work (and make sure none of them bad kids have been messing with my flowers -- just kidding :).

No comments: