Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Reaching Out

My friend made it to Dallas Sunday night and started her new job on Monday. She will be living with me until she is able to get her own place. Her daughter will not be coming until next week. Even though I have children, I'm not the type of person who loves to be around kids alot (not that I don't like them). Her daughter is an exception. She stayed with us for 2 days last week and she was never a problem. This is one child that I wouldn't mind babysitting at any time.

I remember when I had to live with someone during my divorce. It was the hardest thing for me (being so independent). I never want to be a burden on others. My friend is pretty much like me. I have made my home available to her on weekends when she plans on attending church (since it's an hour and a half drive each way). She has stayed on a few occasions but it was obvious that she didn't want to be a burden. I want to make sure that she feels welcome and is under no pressure to immediately find a place. It is clear that she is not a "user" and doesn't take advantage of other's kindness.

There are some (who I know oh too well) who think that this world owes them something. They will ride the backs of others until they break them down. My friend does not fit this category. I'm just glad to have the opportunity to help out someone who is truly trying to make a better life for themselves (and their child).

3 comments:

Lucy Stern said...

It is good to have friends like that. The Lord will bless you for your kindness.

Anonymous said...

That is so sweet of you, but like X said, it's always good to establish guidelines. Things change when folks stay a while. I wish you the best with the temporary arrangement. Hopefully, she'll find a place of her own shortly.

tan247 said...

Ladies, thanks for your kind words.

X & Y (you two were connected before you even knew it -- he!he!) I will take heed to your advice. I'll definitely post the outcome.