Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Sometimes you gotta speak up

I made it to work about 45 minutes late this morning (yep, almost a whole hour late). It was raining and traffic was a mess. Anyway, I get to work and check my e-mail. One of the e-mail's in my in-box is from the controller. She was complaining about a dirty dish that someone had left in the kitchen sink overnight.

Now normally I would just blow it off and keep going about my business. For some reason, this really got under my skin. My manager had sent out an e-mail on Monday regarding 2 pots of coffee that he had to pour out that evening. Well, I took offense to the e-mail I received this morning. I felt it was so petty. So what a bowl was left in the sink. Leave it there for the person it belongs to and let them clean it. I decided to send a reply (to everyone who received the initial e-mail plus the VP). I started off by saying that I didn't mean to sound rude but the fact that someone left a bowl in the sink should not be an issue. I mentioned that I had cleaned the kitchen counter on many occasions and not once did I think to send an e-mail to everyone trying to find out who left it dirty. The VP responded to my e-mail agreeing with me that it was petty. The controller came to my office and apologized but still felt there was nothing wrong with the e-mail she sent.

I suggested that signs be made reminding everyone to clean up after themselves and also to refrain from making coffee after a certain time. The signs could be taped onto the cabinets above the sink & counter. She seemed to be o.k. with this. There were others who were frustrated at both e-mails sent this week but nobody said anything to the people who generated those e-mails. There comes a time when it is necessary to speak up. I feel that I have enough to be concerned about at home as well as at work and don't need to be confronted about something as petty as a dish left in a sink. By the way, I still haven't found out who left it there (now that it's been brought up, I am a bit curious).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah - like now that 2 emails have been sent - the person is gonna step up - not likely! I agree with you though - how petty to actually send an email about it - aren't those emails supposed to be work related. Anywhoo - just stumbled across your site from Kathryn's blog and I loved it! I'll be bookmarking this.

Tanya
http://afropuffs.net