Monday, July 18, 2005

Stepping Outside My Comfort Zone

That's exactly what I did this past weekend. Saturday to be exact. The singles ministry at church met Saturday morning to share the word of Christ with others. We had groups that were going to 4 different venues: a senior living center, door-to-door, the mall and a local park. I was with a group that went to the park.

I was hesitant about going but a girlfriend called me bright and earlier and talked me into not backing out. I was very nervous, being that this was my first time speaking to others that I didn't know about salvation. I was with a great group of ladies & one man. Our approach was to get people to come to an area where we were seated to participate in a "game show". We even had prizes (bibles). We would ask the 'contestants' a few bible related questions and the one who answered the most questions would receive a bible. This was a way of approaching them in a non-threatening way and to 'break the ice'. Some people were very willing, others were at the park strictly to exercise (which is understandable).

The first two people that we met were a young man about 19 years old who had just been released from jail the previous day. The other man was like a resident assistant at the transitional living home that the young man had been released two. These 2 mean had only known each other one day. We talked to them for a little while after the 'game show' and they allowed us to pray for them. They filled out information cards so that someone within the ministry would keep in touch with them and they told us that they would try to visit our church the following day.

Guess what!!!! They were at church during the service I attended. I was so touched. We talked to many other people during our time at the park but there was something about these 2 men that just kept them on my mind throughout the remainder of the day. This was a sure sign that we touched at least 2 lives yesterday. I am so glad that I decided to step out on faith and not worry about what to say or how people would respond to us. This is something that I am looking forward to doing again.

Touching the lives of others in a positive way is my idea of success. It's not about wealth, level of education or my job title. When I die, I want to be remembered for changing someone's life for the better. I want people to remember me by the good that I have unselfishly done for others and the encouraging words that I may have spoken.

That -- to me -- is true success.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed yourself and that it went well.

I need to learn to just be me.