Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Trying Something New

I left work yesterday and before I made it home I had already come to the conclusion that I would not be going to the gym. I don't know if it's the 23 mile commute (one way), the heat or a combination of both. By the time that I pick up my children from their father's place I am beat. I have to make myself attempt to listen to everything that my kids have to say (when I honestly don't want to talk or hear anyone else talk).

I got home, took a shower and sat in my bed with pillows stacked behind me. I started to read a bit of 'Breaking Free', a book that I just bought, but quickly became sleepy so I put it down. I called a friend that I was supposed to meet at the gym and told her that I wasn't going to make it. She didn't try to make me feel guilty or anything, which was very much appreciated. I sat in bed for a few more minutes and then -- out the blue -- I get the urge to get up, get my work-out clothes on and head to the gym?! O.k., so I was puzzled by the sudden change of heart, but, I'm glad that something stirred me to get up.

There was a salsa class that started at 6:15 p.m. and I ended up being about 15 minutes late. I stood in the doorway for a minute watching everyone to see if I could easily catch on. I felt pretty good about it so I quickly walked across the back of the room, put my towel, bottle of water and car key on the floor and took my place behind my friend. This was my first time taking a salsa dance fitness class and I loved it! I worked up a good sweat for about 30 minutes. The last 15 minutes of the class we did ab exercises (which I really needed to do). It was tooouuuuggghh! I felt so much better after class. I worked out a bit on my upper body before leaving. I will keep attending this class before I get brave and take the step aerobics class. I've taken step aerobics before but this particular instructor is tough -- I'm talking military boot camp tough. I took her class one time last year and I never went back. One thing is certain, I will definitely get in shape if I attend her classes. For now, I'll stick with the salsa class :).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! :) The heat will definitely suck out any energy you have left after work.

It's always the tough instructors that you know will be the one to get you where you want to be, as long as you just show up.

You're getting me all worked up now. I gotta go find myself a class!

Anonymous said...

Wow! You just made me wanna go to da darn gym! LOL!! It's been a hot minute! *plannin' schedule as I type*

Good for you! Keep it up!