Thursday, August 11, 2005

Tomorrow Is Not Promised

How quickly we all tend to forget this until we are touched (either directly or indirectly) by tragedy. Whether it be someone we're related to or someone we know 'in passing', tragedy should always remind us to value each moment that we have in life. From Artist Greggy's auto accident that resulted in the death of his wife, to more recently the death of a neighbor in an auto accident as well. Although I knew neither of the the above personally, my heart ached when I heard about each incident. Greg and I have never met but have communicated via each other's blogs and his kind, cheerful and sometimes uplifting comments have created a positive lasting impression of him in my mind. Since the loss of his wife I have heard from him twice and am glad to say that we consider ourselves friends.

I found out about my neighbor's death last night from my children. My heart truly ached when my daughter told me and I had to just sit for a moment, fighting tears, to collect my thoughts. He and his family lived across the alley from me. He was probably no more than 13 years old and we all new him as 'Jr.' I would see him and his 2 younger brothers often either playing in the driveway or walking in the neighborhood. One day Jr. rang my doorbell to let me know that Diesel (our dog) had gotten out of the fence. On another occasion, he and his brothers mowed my lawn for me. Apparently they had figured out a way to make extra money. Jr. and his 2 brothers would go door-to-door asking people if they would like for them to mow their lawn -- and they were only charging $10 dollars. Not only did they mow my lawn but the edged it as well and trimmed my shrubs. I gave them more than the $10 dollars they asked for and gave them a bag of chips as well. I didn't know much more about Jr. other than his name but for some reason, whenever I saw him I had a good feeling about this young man. He appeared to be somewhat quiet and carried himself in a mature way. There are people that you may see every now and then or notice as you're passing by and you think to yourself 'there is just something about them' -- it's a positive something that you just can't put your finger on. This is how I felt every time I saw Jr.

Knowing that tomorrow isn't promised, we should spend more time doing or saying things that will uplift, inspire, motivate and encourage others whether we know them personally or not.

May God continue to comfort both families and may Jr. and Cheryl be at rest in heaven with the Father.

3 comments:

Evelyn said...

So true. Sometimes I just want to hold my girls and my husband and never let go. Life is so precious.

Julie said...

Hi, I just wanted say that I ran across your blog entry and wanted to thank you for the reminder of we are not promised tomorrow. I actually put an entry in my blog and put a link to yours because I think people should be reminded and I liked your story.

Thank you,

Julie

tan247 said...

Thanks for stopping by Julie.