Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Plans are made to be changed

I have learned to roll with the tide. Nothing went as smoothly as planned this weekend but it was still enjoyable for the most part. I arrived as planned at the Humane Society Saturday morning at 7:15 a.m. Much to my surprise so did about 7 to 10 other people. Diesel was feeling a bit energetic that morning so I had to wait outside with him (he would be even worse inside around the other dogs). I did try to go inside with him after about 15 minutes. Didn't work - so back outside we went. I had to leave him in the car while I filled out the necessary paperwork. I didn't leave there until 8:15 a.m. We were supposed to have met my daughter's drill team at 7:15 a.m. to join the caravan that was driving downtown for the American Heartwalk. I called the coach to see if we would still be able to make it and she told me that the Opening Ceremony started at 8:30. I had 15 minutes to FIND them! I looked back at my daughter and saw the tears in her eyes -- my heart was melting. Well guess what -- I found them! We made it downtown to the West End, found a parking lot that charged $5 and walked about 2 blocks before we saw a group of little girls dressed in red & blue outfits with silver sequins. She was soooo happy! I felt good that I followed my first instinct and decided to take a chance. The walk hadn't started yet. They cheered for the walkers at the start and end of the 3K run/walk. We managed to get a few goodie backs that had Reebok socks in them :) -- I just love freebies.

We made it home around 11:15 a.m. I started cleaning house getting ready for the dinner I was having the following day. We picked Diesel up around 4 p.m. and he looked so sad -- and had a very runny nose! They had to give him some antibiotics to take home as well as pain medicine. The first day was horrible. He was so sick :( . I was up all night long going outside with him when he would get sick -- sometimes he didn't make it outside so I was scrubbing carpet most of the evening (my son helped me -- what a good boy). I had to cancel the dinner I had planned to have on Sunday.

Monday it was raining hard so the State Fair was out. I needed to have taken a vacation day anyway to take care of my dog -- who is doing much better. I promised the kids that we would try to go on Sunday of this week. It was still a good day. I managed to work out Monday evening while a girlfriend stayed at home with my kids (she brought her kids over so there was much noise).

No comments: