Friday, July 16, 2004

Comments by Bill Cosby Has Stirred Up America

I read an article today written by Steve Blow, a Dallas Morning News columnist.  The title is 'We Must Answer Cosby Wake Up Call'. 
 
I couldn't help but respond with the following e-mail:

Kudos to you for another well written article. I am a 35 year old, African-American, divorced mother with 2 children. My mother died when I was about 12 years old, I've never seen my father and after my mothers death, I was raised by a grandmother who I believe didn't make it to high school let alone graduate. I said all of that to say this. I have not let my circumstances stop me from reaching my goals and trying to better myself. I am planning on re-enrolling in college this Fall to pursue a degree in Computer Science (I am about 15 hrs away from receiving an Assoc. of Science degree). It has taken me much longer than planned but I will not give up. My desire is to do whatever I can (legally) to see that my children have the best that life has to offer. That does not mean $100 - $200 tennis shoes. As of August of last year, my children have their own rooms and a backyard where they can play safely within the confinements of a 6 foot fence. I was determined to be a homeowner again, whether married or not. Even though things have not always been easy for me, God has still been good to me and I will continue to work hard to better myself and encourage & motivate my children. Bill Cosby is in no way out of line with the statements that he made. In my opinion, it couldn't do anything but help if more prominent, well-known African-Americans spoke out about the problems within our community. I have seen first hand the negative effects that welfare can have on black families. I have also seen the importance that some in the African-American race have placed on 'labels'. Clothing, shoes, purses, cars, car accessories, etc. It is saddening. I agree that the resolution to changing the  way of thinking of some African-Americans has to start within our communities. We cannot allow our circumstances to make us victims of laziness, poverty and self-destruction.
 



No comments: